From all the pablum about “lefties” coming from the right wing press, you’d think there actually was a “Left”. There isn’t. Being “left” of outright Nazism simply means you’re a member of the human race. You hedonist, you.
The “Left” of right wing mythology doesn’t even exist. Everything which refers to any social issue is called “socialism”, which merely reflects the appalling lack of education of those doing so. There is no “movement”, mainly because nobody ever thought it necessary to create one.
Fear of creativity is the sure sign that you should be a publisher. Read this, and you’ll never need homicidal maniacs again.
About this so-called “Left” – See any wild-eyed proletariats running around talking about the 5 year plan and armed revolution? See any collective farms getting set up in Manhattan with fat, smug, commissars? How about glorious decisions to build a new tractor, ironically enough at the tractor factory?
That’s Left, old school, direct from 1917 to you and hasn’t had an original idea since. The old Left is gone, and good riddance. It completely ignored the gulags, the genocide, the Great Leap off a Cliff in China, etc., etc. It got lost in words and concepts it didn’t really understand.
Then there’s the ideologies called “Left”. A more pathetic collection of brain dead clichés you couldn’t wish to see. So you think people need health care, education, housing, etc., you revolutionary hero? Whaddya want, a medal for seeing the obvious? Just do it, you bloody clowns. Less verbiage, more results. Ideologies come and go; humanity needs more than verb candy.
Personal perspective on the Left
According to some of those political surveys, I’m a bit “left” of the Greens. That’s ironic, because I came from a background that makes the traditional conservatives of today look like raging libertarians, and my views haven’t changed much over the years I think that means that I don’t bother lugging around a lot of dogma and buzzwords. Not as though I care, of course, but it’s interesting to see these political definitions waddling around like self-important two year olds. I’ve now seen a few generations of this claptrap, and I think it’s time for a change.
I’ve watched the ha-ha Left since the 1970s. The first thing I learned was that like the Right, any new information is very unwelcome. The pack of ideological recitals I saw left no space for opinions of any kind, particularly not new ones.
The old Left, like the Right, seemed to glory in its own obsolescence. A few mouldy old clichés, and you were Ideologically Correct. Particularly if you had no idea what you were talking about. Reality and the old Left parted company before the Second World War. When Stalin arrived, the original Left, Marxism, and everything else died. The image of communism was its ghost, in so many ways.
Then came the counterculture. There WAS a real counterculture. It’s about as close to a real Left as Western civilization has ever achieved. Again, it was “left” because it was well outside the right wing spectrum, not because it had any real socialist credentials.
Free food, free shops, anti-violence, you name it; a lot of good ideas arrived and were put in to practice. These ideas were finally received by an audience which was actually interested. It couldn’t last, of course. The eternally idiotic mainstream media created an image of crime, disease and drugs, and suburbia, which is by nature terrified of everything, retreated to its eternal bunker of smug ignorance.
For me, it proved a point – The middle class is the middle class. Try holding a revolution in a supermarket and see what happens. Not much. The middle class is quite happy to let things run on rails, as long as it doesn’t bother them. Genocide, pole to pole toxic waste, all is OK just so long as they don’t have to think about it or actually have a personal opinion, and they’re fine.
By the end of the Cold War, the “Left” had run out of sponsors and credibility. Most of it had never had any talent, aka real ideas, so the whole thing wound up in a sort of historical landfill. Nobody was ever “Left” in the brave new vacuum of No Think Politics.
For many years now, I and other writers have been referring to the old “Left” as “leftovers”. Stale, old, out of date, shallow, and more.
- Social programs are not “Left”. They’re a matter of social responsibility.
- Human rights are not “Left”. They’re common sense, and some of the very little common sense which has ever intruded on human history.
- Environmentalism is not “Left”. It’s good management. The old Left, in fact, is directly responsible for some of the most toxic landscapes on Earth.
- Feminism is not “Left”. It’s proper acknowledgement of 51% of the human species. Case closed.
- Health is not “Left”. It’s about survival. Need a map for that one?
- Education is not “Left”. It’s about skills needed in a modern world.
- Housing is not “Left”. It’s about human needs.
- Social justice is not “Left”. It’s even part of the Pledge of Allegiance, “justice for all”. You’d think even the Right would get that.
- Poverty is not “Left”. It’s humanity’s worst and oldest enemy. Destroy it.
The only thing “Left” about these things is that these are the issues the Right refuses to even acknowledge, let alone do anything about.
The Left, in effect, is being defined by the Right. That’s Left as it now is.
The Time for Being Polite about the “Left” is over
OK, that’s as polite as I’m going to be. The default Left is also being absolutely useless in terms of achievements.
About that list above:
- Social programs: If the government won’t start them, you start them. Get off your damn arses.
- Human rights: These can be enforced in the courts, and by active resistance to their abuse by any means available. Do it, don’t just talk about it.
- Environmentalism: Start land repair, toxic waste removal, etc. There’s no law against them. Buy the land with your group chump change. Create safe havens for animals, plants, etc. Protect water sources, soils, and the biological structures of the local ecology. You can’t go far wrong.
- Feminism: The more emphasis on merit, the more likely to succeed feminism will be. Don’t make it a mere quota system for some of the girls in better paying jobs, which is trivialising the rest of the whole idea of feminism.
- Health: Set up clinics, set up supports, source better costs for those who need them. No talk at all about this, get the professionals to do it. Most will be only too happy to do so.
- Education: Literacy is the difference between a social cripple and a human being. Illiteracy must go, and go for good if humanity intends to survive this total meltdown of global management. Teach, support teaching, whatever; get on with it.
- Housing: You can now 3D print a whole house in a day or so. Get cracking.
- Social justice: This is another right, in case anyone has forgotten. Enforce through pro bono law, enforce through practical living options. Just do it.
- Poverty: Create a training, and launch system to get people out of poverty, and just apply it. Prosperity defeats poverty by creating the economic synergies required.
See any impossibilities in that little collection of basics? No? So why the hell is it taking so long to achieve anything? Talk is way too cheap, and it’s costing people their dignity and their chances of decent lives.
You can stick your endless self-righteous chatter up your arses. God knows, it may be the only use you ever find for your arse, given the total ideological constipation which NEVER translates in to action. It’s put up or shut up time, and no excuses are acceptable. To hell with politics, and its social diseases.
…And for god’s sake, no more crap about “empowerment”. You’re NOT empowered until you have personal power to manage your life. You’re on the wrong end of a social sewer. Fix that.
Sorry, still haven’t got around to updating the site for ages. Will do, eventually.